Monday, September 13, 2010

Brunhilda and Borris in "Fishing With Captain Ole"

.


Brunhilda and Borris Bearsaltandpepper, but you may call us Brunhilda and Borris Bearsaltandpepper, with yet another episode in the continuing saga of "The Bearsaltandpeppers Take the Northwoods."


I wanted to try my paw at fishing the way Captain Ole (fisherhubby) does it. Ma said I was loony since bears have been catching fish in the same time honored manner for centuries with no help from fisherhubbies, but I persevered with my plan anyway.


First we went down to the dock so I could give Ole's boat the once over; OUTSIDE - - -


And INSIDE. I pronounced it "sea worthy." Captain Ole breathed a sigh of relief I'm sure.

Next I inspected the fishing equipment. Here's what I found:


Poles


And more poles,


Tackle


And MORE tackle.


There were even plastic worms strewn around the deck.


Just when I thought I'd seen it all, I found MORE fishing grear stuffed in every nook, cranny, and CUBby hole.

Hildy said it was just ridiculous to have all that fishing paraphernalia when all he needed was two good paws.


I told her that fisherhubby pulls out fish like THIS 5-pounder with all that paraphernalia so I still wanted to give it a try.

She said, "You don't have a CLUE how to USE it."

"You're right!" I said, "But I know someone who DOES and I'm going to school!"


And with that I began to study what Captain Ole did with all his "man stuff."


I studied up close and personal.

Ma hung around to heckle, which is the way she-bears act in the presence of strong testosterone, and all you she-humans would be well advised to avoid falling into the same bear trap.


Finally I had the confidence to drop a line in the water. It was just a simple line hanging from the end of a brown pole - - - but that was a HUGE technological advancement for a Bearsaltandpepper like me to take.

Ma stood by scoffing.


Suddenly I felt a tug on my line and pulled up my pole. What's this!?! Could it be???


"Hey Hildy - - - look at this!!! Who's laughing now?!?"


"Harrrrumph!" She snorted, "It's no where near as big as the ones FISHERHUBBY catches."

"Oh, but THAT'S where you're WRONG!" I shouted. "You see, it's NOT about the literal size but the PROPORTIONAL size!












And proportionally MY FISH is bigger compared to ME than Captain Ole's FISH is compared to HIM!!!!"

And that shut her up for good - - - - well, until the next time anyway.

(First posted at The Eclectic Company on July 23, 2009)


.

1 comment:

Debby@Just Breathe said...

It looks like you had a wonderful time and learned many trick of the trade. I agree with the proportional size!